October 04, 2013

# Fitness # Recipes

Fitness Friday: Low Calorie Potato Soup

It's finally fall, and you know what that means! Cool weather, pumpkin flavored everything...and soup!

I am a lover of a good, hearty soup. Unfortunately, the soups I love most are cream-based which equals high fat & high calories. So you can imagine how excited I was to stumble across this recipe!

 
What You'll Need:

-2 russet potatoes, washed and dried
-1 small head of cauliflower, stem removed cut into florets*
-1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
-1 1/2 cups 1% reduced-fat milk
-salt and freshly cracked black pepper
-1/2 cup light sour cream
-10 tbsp reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
-6 tbsp chopped chives, divided
-3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled* (you can use turkey bacon if you prefer)

*To simplify, I used a bag of frozen cauliflower & bacon bits! 

What You'll Do:

1) Pierce potatoes with a fork; microwave on high for 5 minutes then turn over and microwave another 3 - 5 minutes, until tender. Let cool, then peel potatoes.

2) Meanwhile, steam cauliflower with water in a large covered pot until tender. Drain and return to pot


3) On medium heat, add chicken broth, milk, potatoes and bring to a boil. Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth**

4) Add sour cream, half the chives, salt and pepper and cook on low another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally
5) Remove from heat. Ladle 1 cup soup into each bowl. Top each serving with 2 tbsp cheese, remaining chives, and bacon

**I don't own an immersion blender, so I put my mixture in the real blender. You could probably also use a hand mixer!

207.6 calories/1 cup

This soup was absolutely delicious and I would have never thought I was eating a big bowl of pureed cauliflower! 

Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment