July 07, 2014

# Friends # Milestones

I Go Back

Like many people, I had very mixed feelings about my 10-year high school reunion. Most of my closest friends in high school are people that I still hang out with now, so why bother, right?
Wrong.
I decided to attend the reunion, and I am SO glad that I did!
Ben and I graduated from the same class, so that contributed a lot to our decision. I realized that a) We will only have one 10-year reunion and b) If it ends up being super lame, at least I get a date night with the hubby and my best friend!

Our class officers worked very hard to put on a great party for us, and it was definitely not super lame. I truly enjoyed catching up with folks I had not seen in 10 years, and was really surprised at the people I ended up chatting with. I think a lot of the high school drama was beginning to wear off by this time.


I was curious to see how Facebook and other social media would change the tone of a high school reunion. I thought people would have nothing to talk about since "they saw on Facebook...."
However, I think it really helped to have a general idea of what was going on in people's lives. Status updates made a great conversation starter, and allowed us to skip the annoying small talk!
And you might be thinking what's the point of even going, since you already know everything from social media. The reunion really offered that human interaction component that I think we all forget about sometimes ;)

Our senior banner that we all signed in the last days of high school!


These two...always matching!

 BFF since 5th grade!  (That's almost 18 years!)

Our event was held at Atlanta National Golf Club and they really did an excellent job! It was supposed to be from 7-10p, but I think we wrapped up the party around 11:30p because we were all having such a good time! Most folks went out afterwards, too! This preggo had to be up at 5:00am the next day, so we called it a night :)


If you are on the fence about attending your high school reunion, I would definitely urge you to GO! It was really fun catching up with people (ahem....face to face) and seeing how much things have changed in 10 years.
As we left, there were discussions of a 15-year reunion so we could do this again sooner!

You just never know what you will discover :)


No comments:

Post a Comment