November 19, 2012

# Family # Work

It's Bittersweet

About a month ago, Ben called me from work (his one day in the office) and told me his boss pulled him aside to discuss his future with the company. About a week later, he was meeting with several department heads, and accepted a promotion. YAY...right?

Most people would be so excited to hear this news. I cried. 

Of course, I am SO proud of Ben. He started with this company only 8 months ago, and has already receieved a promotion. I can't say I'm surprised-he always advances quickly. But this promotion means the end of working from home. 

I was so completely overwhelmed at the thought of finding child care. How would she sleep at a daycare? Would they allow cloth diapers? Would she get sick a lot? Then I remembered that a former coworker had contacted me during my pregnancy about caring for 'Junebug'. I called Donna (who is a recently retired lactation nurse!) and asked if she was still interested. She was so excited that I thought of her, and immediately accepted this new role!

I am sad about a few things...I wish Ben could remain at home and continue to grow this incredible bond with Peyton. I wish Ben could remain at home to help me with her and around the house. I love that we can randomly go grocery shopping on a Tuesday morning. 

However, I have come to realize that there are many more things to be excited about! The most obvious-Ben is advancing in his company, and he can only go up from here! A new place in the office will certainly allow him to continue to advance. He now has weekends and holidays off, so we can travel to visit friends more often! Peyton might be losing a little time with her Daddy, but she is going to create an amazing bond with her new caregivers. I can't wait for Donna to start!
I have to be thankful for the time Ben was able to stay at home, and how easy it made the parenting transition for both of us.
And I continue to be thankful that my job allows me to be at home 4 days a week!

Our new plan will be: Donna will come to our home 2 days per week to babysit (I think we may adopt the term 'nanny' though!) and on my third work day, P will go to either my Mom (Nonna) or Ben's Mom (Grandma G), rotating every other week.

I know everything will work out great, but please pray for us as we begin this new phase. I hope Peyton will adapt and not give her caregivers too much trouble.. :)

Me? Trouble?


No comments:

Post a Comment