February 03, 2013

# Travel

Top 5 Tips for Infant Travel

I don't claim to be an expert on traveling with an infant, but there are a few things that we picked up on during our recent trip to Tampa, FL.

{The details: Our drive time was 8 hours (per Google maps), we stayed in a hotel, and Miss Peyton is 7 months old.}


 
So here it is:
 My Top 5 Tips for Infant Travel

 1. Hotel: Choose Wisely We usually enjoy staying in unique, non-chain hotels. We booked a room at Hotel Indigo, and although our stay was nice, we hit some snags. They had small rooms, thin walls, and stairs. My suggestion is to find a hotel (most likely a chain hotel) that has spacious rooms, a refrigerator, and complimentary breakfast. Perhaps ask the concierge to place you in a room in the corner, so any crying won't disturb other guests. 

2. Get on the Road! We left our house at 4:30 am, and it was the best decision! Peyton slept for 2 1/2 hours so we were able to cover some ground. Some folks choose to leave in the middle of the night, but it just doesn't seem safe to me. I highly suggest an early start to take advantage of sleeping hours!

3. Toys, Toys, Toys Since we just celebrated Christmas, P had quite a few toys that had not yet been played with. I packed a bag full of them, so they were all still new to her. I suggest buying or borrowing new toys and books to keep the babe interested.

4. Packing... Separate small bags for each situation worked well for us. For instance, we had a toy bag, a food bag, and a diaper/cleanup bag. This way I wasn't digging through one big bag to find what I needed. We brought these bags into the hotel room, too! Also, I have heard of companies that rent large baby equipment (think: swings, highchairs, and cribs). If you're staying a long time, this might be the way to go! 

5. Be Flexible I know, it doesn't sound like helpful advice. Trust me, you will repeat this to yourself many times on your trip. Forget rules, sleep training, and schedules and just go with it. You'll make yourself crazy if you don't.

Safe travels, friends!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment