May 25, 2012

# Junebug # Products

All Our Bags are Packed

We are all packed and ready to go to the hospital when the time comes! Ben hopes I will just go into labor at the end of a shift, call him and calmly say, "Hey, I'm headed downstairs to labor & delivery. Grab the bags and meet me here." Keep dreaming babe...

As a postpartum nurse, I see a wide range of preparation for the hospital stay. Some of my patients come in with enough luggage and supplies to backpack across Europe; Some are asking me for soap.  Although I [obviously] haven't experienced labor/postpartum first-hand, I have a pretty good idea of what is helpful (and what is completely unnecessary) during those days at the hospital.


Mustang thinks she is tagging along!


**This is based on my knowledge of my own hospital-be sure to take a tour of your hospital to find out exactly what you need**

What I packed (besides the obvious-clothes, toiletries, etc)

Maternity clothes- Some comfy tops and bottoms-mostly stretchy cotton. After delivery, *most* women look about 5-6 months pregnant still. It takes time for the uterus to shrink and go back to where it belongs! I have seen some women wearing jeans and other constrictive clothing and it just seems uncomfortable! Loose-fitting and breathable is best.

Towels- Yes, the hospital will provide towels. But I have seen what I do with those towels...let's just say I don't want to be wiping my face with them. I packed my own.

Snacks- During labor, eating is a no-no. BUT-in the postpartum period, my patients are always hungry. The hospital serves 3 meals a day, and we do have snacks available in between. But graham crackers get old. Especially for a breastfeeding Mom, it is important to keep up that caloric intake-EAT!

Ibuprofen- NOT FOR MOMMY! Never ever ever take your own meds from home while you are in the hospital unless it has been approved by your providers and your nurse knows about it! The ibuprofen I am packing is for Daddy-to-be. I have so many new Dads ask me for an Advil (stress, lack of sleep, uncomfortable 'bed', etc) and I can't just give out meds to anyone. Bring your own for Dad, or be prepared to go buy some!

Baby items- I have just a couple of baby outfits packed, including the 'going home' outfit! Most hospitals have diapers, formula, pacifiers, wipes, blankets, and tshirts for babies. Of course, most of my Moms are SO excited to start dressing their little one in the extensive wardrobe they have been preparing for months. The way I see it- this will probably be the only time that someone else has all the baby stuff-take advantage. Of course, we have the carseat in the car, installed properly! :)


Our going home outfits-wonder which one we will be bringing bug home in?!



Insurance Information- It is always best to pre-register with the hospital so you can take care of all of this before you are contracting every 5 minutes. I am bringing my info (along with my short-term leave info) with me just in case! And please...bring a pen!


*What made your hospital stay better? Anything I should add to the list?







2 comments:

  1. Boppy/other nursing pillow and little mittens for the baby's hands. Their nails are super scratchy and long. Baby bootie style socks actually work better than the mittens (those things will drive you nuts trying to keep them on!) I always take our own baby hats too. It seems like the hospital ones go on great at first, but then you can never get them on correctly again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring pre-baby entertainment! We brought games, tablets, chargers, etc. and really needed them. Also, I loved having my own pillow and some makeup made me feel more normal afterwards. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete