April 11, 2012

# Cloth Diapers

Cloth Diapering....Say Whaaaat?

Welcome to my first of [I'm sure] many posts about cloth diapering. A little background:

Cloth diapering wouldn't have even been a thought on my mind if it wasn't for my BFF, Ashley, who cloth diapers her twins. She has talked me through the process thus far and answered my many questions regarding brands, wash routines, products, etc. The first time I visited M&P I had the chance to use cloth diapers and realized-I can do this! She has a great post about CD's (I have to get down with the lingo...) and promises to continue this series so we can all learn more about it!

Why? Yep, I have been asked this many times already! For me, it's mostly an economical reason. Babies and kids are expensive, and if I can cut down on some of these costs (i.e. by re-using something rather than throwing it away), I'm going to try!

Modern...I have used the term "modern cloth diaper" a LOT lately. This isn't the old days of folding, pinning, and rubber pants. Cloth diapers now come in a HUGE variety of options-with snaps, velcro, and cuuuute colors & patterns. It's overwhelming at times.

I got my first set of dipes in the mail yesterday. While I am the farthest thing from an expert at this, I did do a lot of research and read a lot of reviews regarding brand. To start off my "collection" I ordered a set of Kawaii Pure and Natural. These are a very reasonable price for coth diapers, and I wanted to start out small. I can't speak to how well they work because...I obviously haven't used them yet.

This set came with 24 diapers

This type is called a "pocket" diaper-there are inserts you stuff inside!

I have them snapped on the lowest setting.
These are designed to grow with the baby (6-22 lbs)

Although I haven't figured out a wash routine yet (I hear it's a trial & error), it's a pretty easy process-machine wash and machine dry (I plan to line dry).

Have I peaked your interest? Here are some websites I have found particularly helpful when sorting things through:
All About Cloth Diapers

Sweet Bottoms Baby (great reviews of products!)

Nickis Diapers

Wish us luck as we begin this cloth diaper journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment