December 02, 2010

# Christmas

Ho Ho Hum

I always have a difficult time getting into the Holiday spirit. I really don't know why, considering I grew up in a home with Clark Griswold himself. My Dad starts playing Christmas music around Halloween; our Christmas decorations (although classy) are abundant. Although nothing beats the grin on his face when it's all done..or maybe that's the eggnog.
This is the first year that I will not be waking up in my parents' house on Christmas morning. In fact, I won't be "waking up" at all on Christmas morning because I have to work on Christmas Eve night. Bummer. I decided to join in on the "12 Days of Christmas' blog challenge to hopefully spark my interest. Maybe I will even go shopping or decorate my home this weekend. Maybe.

Day One: Christmas Traditions

My family has lots of Christmas traditions, usually starting around the time we get our tree. We all go together to pick out our Christmas tree, load it on the roof of the car, and head home where Dad fights for at least an hour to get the thing into the stand. We all stand by for moral support and to make sure it's not crooked. Finally, the tree is straight (mostly) and sturdy. Dad's hands are covered in sap and we call it a day.
A few days later, we get started on decorating the tree. Dad takes care of most of the lights-untangling, finding the burnt out bulbs, and trimming the tree! Then we all gather (Christmas music on and eggnog in hand) to hang the ornaments. This is one of my favorite parts everrrr. I love going through all the old ornaments that I made when I was 2 years old.

Reindeer Food
On Christmas Eve, my baby sisters begin to get sooo excited as they put out cookies for Santa, dog food for the reindeer, and get into Christmas jammies. We spend the evening tracking Santa's progress on the internet (technology, eh?) and watching Christmas movies-all in front of a fire, of course! Off to bed-Twas the Night Before Christmas (my Mother's 1960's version) and sleep.
On Christmas morning, we always have to wait for my parents "to make sure Santa came" then sneak downstairs. I love watching my sisters' joy & excitement as they turn the corner. We pass out gifts and always take turns opening gifts. I love that my family does this because it allows you to truly cherish the gift you received and thank the person properly. Plus, I get to watch others open gifts I have given them.


Well...I would call this success- I am feeling much better about this Christmas season. I am looking forward to making new memories and traditions with my hubby. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment