December 27, 2010

# Christmas

My First White Christmas

 Seriously, I've never had a white Christmas! I've always lived in the south, where it typically doesn't snow (if at all) until January or February. This year was the first of many things for me, including snow, being married, and waking up in a different home.
Ben and I really enjoyed learning about each other's family traditions, and creating new ones! In particular, we learned about the tradition of The German Pickle (received as a wedding gift from Uncle Don & Aunt Sandy). The tag reads: 
"The pickle is a German symbol of good luck.
Traditionally, German parents decorated the tree on
Christmas Eve, hiding the pickle ornament last. On Christmas
morning, the first child to locate the pickle was rewarded
with an extra gift from St. Nicholas."

Until kids come along, we decided that we would switch off "playing Santa" each year. So, in addition to our gifts to each other, "Santa" gets an extra gift for the family!

I learned of Ben's tradition to get up at 4:30am. He actually let me sleep an extra 15 minutes, so our Christmas Day started bright and early! We opened gifts, then Ben cooked an awesome breakfast. Of course, a nap was in order after that! 
We woke up to beautiful snow, and went over to my parents' house. I *love* being around kids on Christmas. My sisters were so full of excitement. We enjoyed a delish brunch: Ham, Green Bean Casserole, Egg Casserole, Mashed Potatoes, Deviled Eggs...and probably more. Afterwards, we opened gifts, and Mom gave Ben a guitar lesson.
Then it was off to Ben's house, where we ate even more delicious food (...how? I don't know). There was tons of family there, and my new favorite little cousin, Emersen! We called it an early night because the snow was still coming down, and the roads were starting to ice over. WHAT AN AMAZING DAY!
And, of course...a visual journal:
Tree on Christmas morning
Ben played Santa this year-The Beatles Rockband!
This is how I wrapped Ben's guitar-a tiny replica!

The real thing-he's always wanted one!

"One of these things is not like the other..."

I found the pickle!

Pickle=Kindle! (And please notice the movie on in the background)

Typical "child" playing with box instead of the toy!

A White Christmas!

My gorgeous sister and Harry Potter Wii game

For Christmas, Laurel wanted "a hot, relaxing bath" Such a girl!

Clearly, my Mom saw my post about this treasure-The Snazzy Napper!

A guitar lesson

Suri's first Christmas!

Emersen's first Christmas!

Nightstand from my Mama (plastic drawers=old nightstand)

Extra drawer on the inside-perfect for nighttime necessities (lotion, glasses, chapstick)


Overall, I feel incredibly blessed this Christmas. One of the most amazing things about getting married is immediately acquiring a bigger family! I have always felt like part of Ben's family, but now I truly feel more connected to everyone (good or bad, haha!). Family is the most important part of the Holidays and I'm so fortunate to come from one that values that. My parents taught me to cherish every moment. And I certainly do.


No comments:

Post a Comment