December 06, 2010

When I Was a Kid...

I grew up as an only child. I always wanted a baby sister or brother. I was always very maternal. I couldn't wait to be old enough to babysit. As such, I loved baby dolls. To me, they were real. I took them everywhere I went-fed them, changed them, and rocked them to sleep. Sounds a little creepy, I know. What can I say? I was a bit lonely and I had to find a way to entertain myself.
 I've received some awesome Christmas gifts in my life, but there is one that I recall being so happy I cried.
Day 3: My Favorite Gift


Yes, it's a doll
My most memorable gift was my Lee Middleton doll. As a collector's doll, they cost about $150. I saved up my allowance for months, and was not even close! So, I  was thrilled when I received one on Christmas morning Actually...it was after we had opened up all of our gifts and were settling in for a Christmas nap. My Mom pointed her out at the last minute a la A Christmas Story. I named her Amy Marie, and loved when people asked me if it was a real baby when I took her places. I don't think I have any pictures of her (she now lives in my closet at my parents' house) but the Lee Middleton look is unmistakable. I think this obsession with babies and my maternal instinct has played quite a large role in my current career- a mother/baby nurse. I truly think our childhood obsessions give a lot of insight into our life passions.
(Of course, the real gift came years later when I heard the exciting news that I would be getting a real baby sister!)


No comments:

Post a Comment